This website hosts a smorgasbord of recipes!!! Click on the LABELS on the right hand side of this page to see all the different types. Enjoy the YUM!

November 19, 2007

Quick Oven Chicken Cordon Bleu

I made this last week at the last minute with things we already had. I didn't have high hopes, but it was easy and Tony loved it. I actually cut two chicken breasts in half making 4 littler portions and cutting the cooking time, but I'm sure the recipe is great the way I found it in Pillsbury's Complete Cook Book. (My sister got this book, and then my mom and I had to get it. Everything in it turns out good if not fantastic the first time!)

OVEN CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

prep time: 20 minutes (ready in 50 minutes)
yield - 4 servings

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives (I didn't use this since I didn't have it)
4 very thin slices cooked ham (about 3/4 oz each)
4 very thin slices Swiss cheese (about 3/4 oz each)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup corn flake crumbs (I just used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
1/4 teaspoon paprika

1) Heat oven to 375 F. Spray 8-inch square (2-qt) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1 chicken breast half, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center, gently pound chicken with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin (I used a can of soup because it was handy) until about 1/4 inch thick; remove wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves.

2) Spread each chicken breast half wth 1/2 teaspoon mustard; sprinkle each with 1 tsp chives. cut ham and cheese slices to fit chicken (I just doubled them up instead of cutting them). Top eaach chicken breast half with ham and cheese slice. Roll up, tucking ends inside (I actually used toothpicks to secure them since my rolls were smaller. This also made them very easy to handle during the next part).

3) In shallow bowl, combine egg white and water; beat slightly. Place corn flake crumbs in shallow dish. Coat chicken rolls with egg white mixture; roll in crumbs. Place in sprayed baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. (I put a few dabs of "can't believe it's not butter" in the pan just to add a little buttery flavor instead of Pam flavor and to make it a little greasier since I only had cooking Pam with flour and I didn't know how it would work).

4) Bake at 375 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear.

This was so easy! I am not one for a lot of steps like this would typically require, but this was fast and tasty.

No comments: