This website hosts a smorgasbord of recipes!!! Click on the LABELS on the right hand side of this page to see all the different types. Enjoy the YUM!

August 6, 2007

Avocado Steak

This is a recipe I found on allrecipes.com, my favorite recipe website - well, it USED to be until Allison started this one :) I know it may sound odd, but my husband and I actually both really liked it. If it sounds intriguing to you, give it a shot!

Avocado Steak
Grilled steaks are topped with Mexican-style ingredients and served over rice. Fresh salsa is a wonderful addition to this recipe.

Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
salt to taste
garlic powder to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
4 beef steaks
2 avocados - peeled, pitted and sliced

DIRECTIONS
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Place refried beans in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and season with salt and garlic powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until browned and tender.

On the prepared grill, cook steaks 7 to 10 minutes, to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (65 degrees C).

Spread steaks with refried beans, and top with onions and avocado slices. Serve over rice.

My Notes: I do not really like plain white rice, so I made Rice a Roni Spanish Rice which was actually quite good (make sure you have the can of tomatoes needed for this). I used fat free refried beans (just what I had) and put in leftover grated cheddar into it as well as some garlic salt. Also, we didn't pile everything onto the steak because that sounded a little odd - so I just put the avocados on the steak and everything else on the side. It was weirdly wonderful.

No comments: